Delicious Rabbit stew with sage

Appetit Voyage
Rabbit stew with sage
This weekend, for the first time, I received my veggies box from the Beebox. I had been looking for the most convenient service of local and organic food delivery. I am very excited with this new challenge, but I will tell you more about it further on. For now, I am too impatient to share with you this new recipe!

So last Friday, my dear neighbor and Beebox representative handed a nice box of veggies, apple juice and bread from Le Perron. Among the treasure was a beautiful handful of fresh sage. A Delicate and intense herb I discovered through the Italian cuisine some 3 years ago. I never used much till I taught how to make escalope alla milanese and was so impressed by the taste! Then my Italian friend Alessandro who showed much more opportunities to use it. 

So when I saw this beautiful bunch of sage, I spent the whole morning thinking how to combine it. And from a sudden, the rabbit came to me! (not literally, of course) I did not cook or eat rabbit for ages,... mainly because it is not very popular among Dutch people. Though, I still have a delicious memory, back to my childhood when my grand mother was cooking rabbit with mustard sauce, a very traditional French recipe. Even now, while I am writing about it, my mouth is watering!

So, I finally went to my favorite local Moroccan shop in Haarlem, Mabrouk and got a rabbit!

This is the story of my rabbit stew with sage sauce!
 
Ingredients for 6 persons:
- 1 rabbit
- 50 grs of butter
- 3 tbsp. of olive oil
- 20 cl of white wine
- 3 spring onions
- 1 handful of fresh sage
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tbsp. of heavy cream
- salt and pepper
- 500 grs of mushrooms cut in 4

1/ In a large pan, gather the butter and olive oil and let it melt at medium heat. Cut the rabbit in pieces. Put the rabbit in the pan and let each pieces get colored and golden. 

2/ Add the garlic clove roughly cut and the spring onions thinly sliced. Add the sage  and mushrooms and let it gold as well.
 
3/ When the meat is nicely colored in every side, add the white wine and turn on the heat. Let it cook uncovered for 10 minutes. 

4/ Then add salt and pepper, 50 cl of water to cover the meat and cover. Slow down the heat to minimum and let it cook for at least 30 minutes.

5/ At the end of the cooking add the 2 large table spoons of cream and mix it with the concentrated gravy. Mix well. Stop the heat. Wait for 10 minutes before serving.

Serve with the some oven baked potatoes and courgettes. Oh My Goodness! I can tell you that it was just amazing! the delicate taste of the rabbit was absolutely enhanced by  the sage and the sauce was so concentrated and beautifully balanced,... And the day after, it was even better! So please, try it!


a ppetit voyage is much more than reviews and recipes!

Follow the blog: www.appetitvoyage.com
Share your ideas on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/appetitvoyage
Follow us on Twitter @appetitvoyage

A ppetit Voyage agenda is updated regularly, so come and visit our website www.appetitvoyage.com to check the next workshops, either for cooking or wine tasting!

 Feel free to contact us and ask for a private dinner or party with your friends or colleagues: Birthdays, Bachelors, Baby shower, etc...

A ppetit Voyage is your globe-trotting connoisseur: helping you change your mind about food, wines and cooking!

Comments

Popular Posts