Sunday pork stew
What I like about Sundays, is that we do not do anything except relaxing, enjoying our home and cocooning,... quite easy to do when the weather outside did not invite you to go out!!!!
The time on Sundays is different,... perhaps, something Spanish, or it´s just that the clock stopped for us,... I like to stew slowly some good dish for hours!
Usually, on Saturdays, we filled the fridge and the Sunday morning while we are chatting, playing, doing our things, the stew is cooking,...
Today, I prepare a winter dish, pork stew with chestnuts, pumpkin and chicory.
Ingredients for 4 persons:
- 700 grs. of pork loin or joint
- 3 shallots
- 1 red onion
- 100 grs. of bacon chunks
- 500 grs. of pre-cooked chestnuts
- 250 grs. of pumpkin
- 4 chicory
- laurel, thyme
- 20 grs. of butter
- salt and pepper
1. First in a fried-pan, I roast the sliced shallots, onion with the bacon at medium heat. You do not need to add any fat, the bacon is already more than enough! When the onions is already getting gold, take it off trying to let the fat in the pan and put it in a big pan. Let it cool.
2. In this same fried-pan, we put the pork and we roast it on all the sides during 15 minutes on medium heat.
3. When the piece of meat is roasted everywhere, we take if off and add it to the pan with the onions and bacon.
Add a shot of brandy at this pan, put it again on the heat, and when the alcohol is evaporated, we add 250 ml of water. Put the laurel leaves, thyme, salt and pepper, and cover.
4. We will let the stew on medium-low heat for 2 hours, checking sometimes if we need to add some more water.
5. In the meanwhile, prepare the pumpkin, peel it and slice it in big chunks. Reserve.
Wash the chicory, and put it in a fried- pan with the butter in medium heat. Make it golden on every side during 15 minutes. Then slow down, add salt and pepper and a small glass of water. Cover and let it cook 30 minutes at least, checking also if you have enough water,...
6. After 2h, add in the stew the chestnuts and pumpkin, make sure you have enough water, salt and pepper if necessary, and cover for 30 minutes more.
After this time, your stew is ready! Serve the meat with vegetables and chicory and some of the sauce. Have a nice Sunday, I am going to eat,....
a ppetit voyage is much more than reviews and recipes!
Follow the blog: www.appetitvoyage.com
Share your ideas on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/appetitvoyage
Follow us on Twitter @appetitvoyage
A ppetit Voyage agenda is updated regularly, so come and visit our website www.appetitvoyage.com to check the next workshops, either for cooking or wine tasting!
Feel free to contact us and ask for a private dinner or party with your friends or colleagues: Birthdays, Bachelors, Baby shower, etc...
A ppetit Voyage is your globe-trotting connoisseur: helping you change your mind about food, wines and cooking!